A Director's view: Polina Kalinina brings us the latest from the PLAYroom
Polina trained as a director with the Actors Touring Company, Orange Tree Theatre and LAMDA. Recent Directing credits include: 'Playboy of the Western World' (Southwark Playhouse) and 'Romeo and Juliet' (Tobacco Factory Theatre). Polina is directing PLAY 9.
1. Who have you been PLAYing with today?
The amazeballs cast of Play 9 WITH Kanye West and Sarah Koenig (in spirit)
2. What do you like most about PLAYing collaboratively?
Everyone’s genuine hunger to tell stories! You can feel that hunger and eagerness from everyone and you don’t have to spend valuable time winning people over and getting them enthused. Everyone is on board.
3. How is doing PLAY different to working in a conventional rehearsal room?
As I director I feel much less pressure to come on day one with all the answers…to everything (ever). It’s raw, pure, gloriously chaotic, unplanned free-for-all. The roles within the room are less defined and therefore it feels like there are more options.
4. What are the challenges of developing a play from scratch in such a short period of time?
Having 5 brains in the room all teeming with brilliant ideas is super but we are not creating a season of work at the National. We cannot do them all. We have 15mins. Sifting out and honing in on the things we want to say and the stories we want to tell is harder than it sounds.
5. Have you worked with new writing before?
Yes. As an associate at the ATC. But never in quite the same format.
6. Can you sum up your PLAY experience so far in three words?
Young, scrappy and hungry